Porn-obsessed serial killer Stephen Port, now 46, has planted the note in hopes of distracting police as a suspect in the death of his second victim, Gabriel Kovari
A serial killer has placed a false suicide note on his third victim to accuse him of murdering another young gay man, an inquest jury has learned.
Porn-obsessed Stephen Port, now 46, tried to distance himself from the murder of second victim Gabriel Kovari by scribbling a fake suicide note on the corpse of Daniel Whitworth, 21.
The murders took place three weeks apart under almost identical circumstances, a short distance from the Port’s ground floor apartment in Barking, east London.
Port earned the sinister title of serial killer after murdering four young men in a 16-month-long murder spree in 2014 and 2015, before being cut short.
Death inquiries are examining whether police could have stopped Port earlier by acting differently.
The memo, read to the inquest jury on Friday, read: “I’m sorry to everyone, mainly my family, but I can’t go on.
“I took the life of my friend Gabriel Kline (Mr. Kovari).
“We were (sic) just having fun at a friend’s house and I got carried away and gave him another dose of G (GHB drug).
“I didn’t notice while we were having sex that he had stopped breathing.
“I tried everything to make him breathe (sic) again but it was too late.
“It was an accident but I blame myself for what happened and I didn’t tell my family I got out.”
The handwritten note, on a sheet of A4 paper and wrapped in a protective plastic sheet found on Mr Whitworth’s body, added: “I know I would go to jail if I went to the police and I can’t do that to my family and at least so I can at least be with Gabriel again, I hope he forgives me.
“BTW (by the way). Please don’t blame the guy I was with last night.
“We only had sex and then I left. He doesn’t know anything about what I did.
“I took what was left in GI with sleeping pills, so if it kills me, this is what I deserve.
“I feel dizzy now like 10 minutes ago, so I hope you understand my handwriting.
“I dropped my phone on the way so I should be in the grass somewhere. Sorry to everyone. I still love. Daniel PW.”
It wasn’t until much later that it became clear that Port was responsible for the bill.
Henrietta Hill QC, Victims’ Family Council, suggested to Inspector Mark Joyce that he quickly “closed” the investigation into Mr Whitworth’s death the day he was called to the scene.
Mr Joyce said: “I accept that my objectivity may have been clouded. Confirmation bias – if you have a theory, you are looking for evidence that supports that theory.”
He admitted that he had not checked with Mr Whitworth’s family whether the note was genuine because he did not consider it suspicious.
Addressing the families of the victims, he added: “My sincere condolences. As the father of a young man who is exactly the same age, I cannot imagine the trauma.
“I made a decision at the time (that Mr. Whitworth died by suicide)… based on the information I had.”
The jurors of the investigation had already heard Port, a chief of depot of bus which would have “a revolving door of boys who come and go”, had told a neighbor that Mr. Kovari, 22, had “died in Spain” under mysterious circumstances in order to cover his deadly tracks.
Port was jailed for life in 2016 after being convicted of murdering 23-year-old Anthony Walgate, Mr. Kovari, Mr. Whitworth and Jack Taylor, 25, by giving them deadly doses of GHB, as well that a number of rapes.